Reclaim your manly defined chest and say goodbye to man boobs with gynaecomastia treatment.
Click to hear Dr Yunaev talk about “The Most Common Causes of Gynaecomastia (Man Boobs)
Male gynaecomastia (or Man Boobs as it is known colloquially) is an excessive enlargement of the male breast tissue and may be present in one breast (unilaterally) or both breasts (bilaterally).
Male gynaecomastia is common in any age and may develop as a result of:
- Hormonal changes
- Weight gain
- Hereditary conditions
- Disease, such as liver disease
- Certain medication
- Use of non-prescription or recreational drugs.
Gynaecomastia can cause emotional discomfort and may affect a man’s self-confidence. Excess breast tissue can also cause a man’s breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple).
Gynaecomastia can also be physically painful or uncomfortable and often is socially not acceptable.
What can male breast reduction surgery do for me?
The main benefits of male breast reduction surgery include:
- Removal of the excess fat and glandular tissue caused by gynaecomastia
- Desired permanent results with less discomfort
- A small amount of recovery time
- Guaranteed surgical safety
In some cases, gynaecomastia can be improved with non-surgical treatments, such as exercise, changing medication or by medically treating the cause of the abnormal hormone levels. For some men, however, cosmetic surgery to remove the excess breast tissue may be the best treatment option.
Dr. Michael Yunaev recommends surgical options such as liposuction alone or mastectomy and liposuction in combination, depending on the nature of the gynaecomastia, whether it is mostly glandular or fatty or a combination of both. These are well-tolerated procedures and often performed as day surgery.
Occasionally, when the skin has been stretched for a long time, removal of the contents of the breast pocket is not enough, and the skin may need to be removed as well. Usually, this is done as a second procedure, as it may not be required if the skin has retained enough elasticity and bounces back on its own. If it is necessary, then several different options for excision of the skin are available depending on the amount that needs to be removed. Most patients are happy with their transformations and go on to lead a full life free of previous restrictions.
Are you a good candidate?
Before you decide on gynaecomastia treatment, there are some critical issues to keep in mind:
- Any surgical treatment to correct gynaecomastia will require incisions, albeit small. While most incisions are hidden in natural contours or the areolae of the breasts, some scars may be visible and an unavoidable result of any gynaecomastia surgery
- Michael Yunaev generally recommends waiting until breast tissues are fully developed. Younger men or adolescent boys may be advised to wait several years after the onset of gynaecomastia before surgery
- Gynaecomastia surgery is not recommended for overweight men who have not tried proven weight-loss techniques such as diet and exercise
- If gynaecomastia has resulted from the use of alcohol, certain prescription medications or drugs, you must be entirely free of these substances before undergoing surgery
- You must remain at a stable weight to maintain the results of your operation
- Smokers are at increased risk of complications. If you are serious about undergoing surgery, you should try to quit smoking
Gynaecomastia treatment may be a good option for you if:
- Alternative medical treatments are ineffective in treating the condition
- You are self conscious about the appearance of your breasts/chest
- You experience discomfort as the breast tissue is tender and sore
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breast tissues are fully developed
- You are not a smoker or a drug user
Breast & Body Clinic have clinics located across suburbs in the east and inner west of Sydney as well as in the Southern Highlands, from our clinic located in Bowral.
We offer the gynaecomastia procedure to the following areas:
- Potts Point
- Bella Vista
Before and After
Dr. Michael Yunaev generally recommends waiting until breast tissues are fully developed. Younger men or adolescent boys may be advised to wait many years after the onset of gynaecomastia before surgery.
Gynaecomastia Surgery Sydney cost
The required cost of the surgery varies per patient. Starting Price for the Male Breast Reduction & Gynaecomastia is from $45 Per Week.
- 3-Hour Case
- Low interest or no interest payment available
- Some set up fees may apply
We recommend a consultation to understand what will be required for your procedure and the exact cost. During the consultation, you can view your expected results.
All procedures performed by Dr. Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, medical costs vary from operation to operation. A consultation offers a clear surgical plan with information about the various options available. An initial appointment with Dr. Yunaev is charged at a fee of $260, with the potential to receive some refund from Medicare for some procedures, the Medicare rebate, if the patient has a referral, is $73.
A precise surgical quote is given to each patient after consultation with Dr. Yunaev, once the patient needs have been fully assessed. Based on this assessment, the patient will be provided with an individual and personalised surgical quote.
Additionally, some procedures may be eligible for a private health fund or Medicare rebate. This can be discussed at a consultation, and will also vary from case to case. It is important to note that self-funded procedures or procedures that do not attract a Medicare rebate may have additional fees on top of surgical fees.
For more information, or to arrange an appointment, please contact us here.