A Breast Lift Surgery (also called mastopexy), is designed to reshape the breast by addressing the stretching of the skin of the breast that goes along with pregnancy, breastfeeding, and ageing.
The skin and ligaments, which maintain the youthful shape of the breasts stretch and elongate, and lead to sagging and drooping breasts. This sagging is made worse by the loss of breast tissue over time. This is a condition that affects women of all ages. The factors, which influence the degree of droopiness that develops over time include:
- Initial size – gravity is less kind to larger breasted women
- Normal changes in breast volume and tissue elasticity over time
- Pregnancy – and weight gain during pregnancy
- Breastfeeding – and duration of breastfeeding
- Body weight fluctuations over time
- How your breasts respond to your body weight changes
What can breast lift surgery do for me?
The primary objective of a breast lift is to firm and reshape a breast that has lost shape, slightly different to that of a breast augmentation. This can often happen as a result of pregnancy, ageing or weight loss. A breast lift aims to alter the breasts to a preferable size, shape, and position on your body.
Breast lift surgery is a common procedure which aims to:
- Restore breast position
- Improve firmness
- Elevate the nipple
- Improve symmetry
- Remove excess tissue from the bottom of the breast
During breast lift surgery the skin is tightened around the breast to create a new shape. There is also the option to increase cup size or restore fullness and cleavage in the upper part of the breast by performing a breast implant at the same time.
The need to knows
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia
- The surgery can be performed as day surgery or with overnight admission, taking roughly 2-3 hours
- You will be able to return to work in approximately 7-14 days, depending on your profession
- Light exercise can be resumed after one month
Breast lift surgery Sydney
There are several skin incision patterns that are used for this operation, depending on the amount of skin that needs to be removed. These include a circular incision only, a vertical scar and an anchor type incision. At Breast & Body Clinic we aim to minimise scarring on the breast, but primarily the choice of operation is dictated by your own biology and physique and the amount of tissue that needs to be removed to achieve a youthful appearance.
This is operation may also provide an “augmented” look to the breast in some cases without using the implants to achieve this goal, particularly if there is dense breast tissue, as opposed to fatty breast tissue, making up the breast.
However, like any other operation, this procedure has its own limitations and depending on your expectations Dr. Michael Yunaev may recommend that you have this procedure in conjunction with breast augmentation. This is called augmentation mastopexy, or breast lift with implants.
The reasons for an augmentation mastopexy are many, but most importantly:
- Upper breast fullness is challenging to achieve and maintain long-term without a breast implant
- Larger breast size is not possible to achieve reliably without a breast implant (even with fat grafting)
- Changing the footplate of the underdeveloped and tuberous and asymmetric breasts is not possible without an implant
Are you a good candidate?
If you are considering undergoing the breast lift surgery procedure, the following vital considerations should be given your attention:
- This procedure will not change the size of your breasts, but will reduce the size of the skin envelope around the breast tissue. It will also not round the upper part of the breast. If this is the desired outcome you would like for your breasts to achieve a fuller or smaller appearance, you might want to consider either breast augmentation or breast lift with implants or breast reduction surgery
- We generally recommend waiting until breast development, childbirth and breastfeeding have stopped before undertaking surgery
- Although it’s possible to lift breasts of any size, the results may not be as long-lasting in women with heavier breasts
A lift without implants may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- Your breasts are sagging and have lost their shape and firmness
- Your breasts have a flatter, elongated shape or are pendulous
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas
- One breast is lower than the other
- Remember that the shape and size of your breasts before surgery will influence the surgical procedure and the outcome.
To learn more about your suitability for a breast lift and implants in Sydney, Potts Point, Bella Vista or Rozelle speak to the team at the Breast and Body Clinic. We provide Sydney breast lift procedures in our clinics located across suburbs in the east and inner west as well as in the Southern Highlands, from our clinic located in Bowral.
We provide breast services in:
- Potts Point
- Bella Vista
Before and After Examples
All procedures performed by Dr Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, the mastopexy breast lift varies from operation to operation.
Breast Lift Cost Sydney
As with all procedures, the required surgery varies per patient. The starting price of a breast lift surgical fee at Breast & Body Clinic is $9000 after rebates or $106 A Week* with no interest and minimal upfront setups fees, for a 3-hour case, with a slight increase if a longer procedure for a larger reduction is required.
We recommend a consultation to understand what will be required for your procedure and the exact cost. With Crisalix 3D Technology, you can now view expected results via 3D imaging at your consultation.
All procedures performed by Dr. Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, medical costs vary from operation to operation. A consultation offers a clear surgical plan with information about the various options available. All initial appointments with Dr. Yunaev have an associated fee of $260. In some cases, you may be able to acquire a portion of this fee refunded from Medicare depending on the procedure. If this does apply you will receive a Medicare rebate of $73 if you have a referral.
Additionally, some procedures may be eligible for a private health fund rebate. This can be discussed at a consultation, and will also vary from case to case.
For more information, or to arrange a consultation to discuss Breast lift in Sydney, Bella Vista or Bowral, please contact us here.
*Terms and Conditions Apply
A breast lift combined with augmentation or implants
It is not uncommon for women to request some form of extra volume for their breasts when having the breast lift procedure. There is a number of options for this depending on the desired outcome. Combining surgeries often can help reduce the amount of time under anaesthesia and to lessen the impact of recovery and also sometimes the cost of the overall procedure. However, with recent changes to medicare item numbers it may be more beneficial from financial point of view to split up the breast lift and augmentation procedures into two stages, if otherwise medically appropriate.
If the issue you are hoping to rectify is a mild sagging, a breast augmentation may be all that is required, however, a combined breast lift and augmentation can be performed. Factors including the amount of breast tissue you have and the desired implant size will help determine the correct operation.
In some cases, patients who require both a lift and augmentation may need to separate the procedures to allow for healing and to confirm if the second procedure is required. This two-stage approach usually requires the breast lift to be completed first, and an augmentation as the second operation only if necessary at a later date, roughly six months apart. This is particularly pertinent in patients with large amounts of natural breast tissue or significant sagging.
In some cases when the two procedures are performed at once, revision surgery may be required. Ideally, a good breast shape is achieved from the lift procedure alone.
A breast lift will rebuild shape and projection, however, in cases with a loss of volume, particularly in the upper half of the breast, an implant can be inserted during the operation for a more desired result.
Overstretched, sagging skin can be removed from beneath the breast while also repositioning the nipple to create a perky, youthful look. Nipples and areolas always stay attached to blood supply and nerves regrow so as to maintain sensation in this area, however, some sensation may be lost. The following techniques are selected based on the size and shape of the breasts, along with the required amount of skin to be removed. Skin quality and position of the nipples are also contributing factors:
- Circumareolar technique: During this technique, a circular incision is performed around the areola which is minimally invasive and suited to situations that require a small degree of lift. The scar sits around the areolar.
- Vertical technique: This technique leaves a scar around the areola and a vertical scar reaching down the midline of the breast to the lower fold. This is best suited for situations that require a moderate degree of lift.
- Anchor technique: Named due to the anchor-shaped scar around the areola, down the lower midline of the breast and in the crease underneath the breast. This technique is used in cases where a significant amount of lift or reduction of the breast is needed.
The possible complications with a breast lift procedure
We always note that all surgical procedures are accompanied by possible risks or complications. In the case of a breast lift, this can occasionally or rarely include:
- Wound infection
- Wound breakdown or Poor wound healing
- Poor Scarring or Hypertrophic/Keloid Scars
- Poor Sensation
- Inability to breastfeed occasionally
- Nipple or areola necrosis (death)
- Shape of the breast not meeting patient expectations
In the case of scarring, there will always be a certain amount with any surgery. The healing response of the scar cannot be anticipated and varies per patient. Scars can take up to 12-18 months to fully mature.
Nipple and areolar sensation may increase or decrease; however, this is usually temporary and will restore within 12 months to close to the pre-operative state.
Many women are also concerned about an inability to breastfeed, this is more of a risk in substantial lifts where the milk ducts may be affected. Breast lumps may form due to a collection of blood or dead fat cells.
In cases where there is a large amount of breast tissue, breast sagging can still occur in the lower part of the breasts. The increased number of procedures in a single approach increases the likelihood of potential risks such as the combination of a breast lift and augmentation. Our experienced team takes every necessary precaution to ensure this surgery is safe, adequate blood supply to the nipple areolar region in achieved and the amount of internal surgery is limited to avoid compromising blood supply.
Why choose Breast & Body Clinic and Dr. Yunaev?
- Yunaev received his accreditation through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
- His experience involves training in general surgery, specialist training in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery, and a further four years of Aesthetic Surgery training all part of his more than ten years’ Surgical Experience
- Yunaev gives exceptional attention to detail and prides himself on a high-quality and caring patient experience.
- The focus is on personalised care, as we know cosmetic surgery is not a one size fits all approach. Therefore, we focus on the quality of care and providing natural-looking results.
- Breast & Body Clinic also offers flexible payment options and is a licensed clinic and surgery in an accredited hospital to ensure safety levels are as high as possible.
Dr. Yunaev specialises in the following procedures:
Don’t simply take our word for it, read some of the reviews of Breast & Body Clinic from our valued patients who have come to us with a range of issues requiring improvements.
We value our patients and are proud of the results! Legally medical practices are unable to publish testimonials on their websites. Please have a look at our work via these links:
Would you like a better idea of expected results? Try a 3D simulation!
Breast & Body Clinic offer Crisalix 3D technology which will simulate the different options available from your procedure allowing you to select your favorite.
Similar to a standard consultation, you will be assessed for which procedure is most suitable for you while also revealing the expected results in 3D!
Frequently asked questions
How do I know which surgery I require?
During your consultation, a number of factors will be taken into consideration to determine which surgical option is required. These can include:
- The amount of sagging of the breast and the necessary amount of nipple lift
- The quality of the skin
- Breast tissue quality and volume
- The level of detachment of the breast tissue from the chest wall
- The distance of nipple to the lower breast fold
- You expected outcome
What will happen during my recovery?
In most cases, you will be able to leave the hospital the same day as your surgery. You may experience some discomfort and pain after the surgery, and postoperative prophylactic antibiotics will be provided along with pain relief for the first few days. It is expected there will be some swelling and bruising that will lessen after a couple of weeks.
You will be required to rest on your back or side, drink plenty of water and eat regular small meals.
When will I see the results?
The swelling will settle over six weeks however a timeframe of between 3-6 months is required for the final results to be evident.
What are the risks?
All surgery involves possible risk or complications including infection, bleeding, bruising and swelling. A breast lift is a relatively safe procedure however there is the risk of scarring, asymmetry of breast shape and size and change in nipple-areolar sensation. There is also the potential of a reduced ability to breastfeed.
PHONE: (02) 9819 7449
FAX: (02) 9356 0460
For all appointments and inquiries, please contact us using the details provided above or fill out the enquiry form and we will be in touch at the earliest opportunity.