Gynaecomastia (or Man Boobs as it is known colloquially) is an excessive enlargement of the male breast tissue and may be present in one breast (unilaterally) or in both breasts (bilaterally).
Gynaecomastia is common in men of any age and may develop as a result of:
- Hormonal changes
- Weight gain
- Hereditary conditions
- Disease, such as liver disease
- Certain medication
- Use of non-prescription or recreational drugs.
Gynaecomastia can cause emotional discomfort and may affect a man’s self-confidence. Excess breast tissue can also cause a man’s breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple).
Gynaecomastia can be also be physically painful or uncomfortable and often is socially not acceptable.
In some cases, gynaecomastia can be improved with non-surgical treatments, such as changing a medication or by medically treating the cause of the abnormal hormone levels.
For some men, however, surgery to remove the excess breast tissue may be the best treatment option.
Dr Michael Yunaev recommends surgical options such as liposuction alone or mastectomy and liposuction in combination, depending on the nature of the gynaecomastia, whether it is mostly glandular or fatty or a combination of both.
These are well-tolerated procedures and often performed as day surgery.
Occasionally, when the skin has been stretched for a long time, removal of the contents of the breast pocket is not enough and the skin may need to be removed as well. Usually this is done as a second procedure, as it may not be required if the skin has retained enough elasticity and bounces back on its own. If it is required then several different options for excision of the skin are available depending on the amount that needs to be removed.
Most patients are happy with their transformations and go on to lead a full life free of previous restrictions.
Before you decide on breast reduction surgery, there are some important issues to keep in mind:
- Any surgical treatment to correct gynaecomastia will require incisions. While most incisions are hidden in natural contours or in the areolae of the breasts, some scars may be visible and an unavoidable result of any gynaecomastia surgery
- Dr Michael Yunaev generally recommends waiting until breast tissues are fully developed. Younger men or adolescent boys may be advised to wait a number of years after the onset of gynaecomastia before surgery
- Gynaecomastia surgery is not recommended for overweight men who have not tried proven weight-loss techniques such as diet and exercise
- If gynaecomastia has resulted from the use of alcohol, certain prescription medications or drugs, you must be fully free of these substances before undergoing surgery
- You must remain at a stable weight in order to maintain the results of your surgery
- Smokers are at increased risk of complications. If you are serious about undergoing surgery, you should try to quit smoking
Breast reduction may be a good option for you if:
- Alternative medical treatments are ineffective in treating the condition
- You are self conscious about the appearance of your breasts
- You experience discomfort as the breast tissue is tender and sore
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breast tissues are fully developed
- You are not a smoker or a drug user
Gynaecomastia Before and After examples:
All procedures performed by Dr Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, surgical costs vary from operation to operation.
A precise surgical quote is given to each patient after consultation with Dr Yunaev, once the patient needs have been fully assessed. Based on this assessment, the patient will be provided with an individual and personalised surgical quote.
The below prices are just an estimate of male breast reduction cost:
Gynaecomastia surgery indicative price range: from $8,000 to $12,000
Additionally, some procedures may be eligible for a private health fund rebate. This can be discussed at a consultation, and will also vary from case to case. For more information, or to arrange an appointment, please contact us here.
DR MICHAEL YUNAEV
“Dr Michael is a Specialist OncoPlastic and Cosmetic Breast and General Surgeon and is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign and Congenital Breast Disease, as well as General Surgery.”
DR YUNAEV SPECIALISES IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES:
PHONE: (02) 9819 7449
FAX: (02) 9356 0460
For all appointments and inquiries, please contact us using the details provided above or fill out the enquiry form and we will be in touch at the earliest opportunity.