Breast Cancer Treatment
There are many different subtypes of breast cancer and not all behave in the same manner. Some can be aggressive and fast growing or indolent. They may or may not recur in the future. New technology today is able to treat cancer according to the biological/genetic makeup, leading to a change in approach in treatment of these cancers. At the Breast and Body Clinic, we personalise the breast cancer treatment that is best for the patient, rather than use one approach that fits all.
This is very relevant for the surgical part of the treatment. At Breast & Body Clinic, we specialise in tailor made surgical techniques taking into account the biology of the cancer we are treating, patient’s overall health and social circumstances, patient’s preferences (based on medical, social and psychological reasons) and of course surgical feasibility and safety of the proposed treatment.
We specialise in the following surgical procedures for managing breast cancer. These procedures include:
Breast Conservation Surgery (BCS)
- Breast is preserved
- Cancer lump is removed with a margin of healthy tissue
- Almost always in combination with radiotherapy post surgery.
- May leave aesthetic deformities
- Cancer removed with a margin of healthy tissue
- Breast is preserved
- Particular attention is paid to avoiding breast deformities by using different techniques to have a natural or improved breast appearance
- Almost always in combination with radiotherapy post surgery
Breast Removal Surgery
- Most of the skin and all of the breast tissue is removed
Skin Sparing Mastectomy
- All breast tissue is removed with partial preservation of the skin envelope, usually in conjunction with immediate breast reconstruction
Nipple Sparing Mastectomy
- All breast tissue is removed with preservation of the skin envelope and the nipple, usually in conjunction with immediate breast reconstruction
Sentinel Node Biopsy
- A radioactive tracer is used to identify the first lymph node, which drains the tissue affected by the cancer and this lymph node or nodes is/are removed.
- Majority or sometimes all of the lymph nodes draining the breast in the armpit are removed.