A breast reconstruction is a common surgical procedure for women that can create a natural breast in appearance and form. Breast reconstruction is rewarding both physically and emotionally if a breast has been lost due to cancer or other conditions.
Click to hear Dr Yunaev talk about “When Can I Go Back to Work After Breast & Tummy Tuck Surgery?”
The breast reconstruction procedure rebuilds a new breast to resemble a natural breast, usually performed after a mastectomy.
There are several types of breast reconstruction:
- An implant reconstruction in which the implant is placed under the muscle or in front of the muscle to recreate the shape of the breast. This is a popular choice as the aesthetic results can be extremely good in appropriate patients. These procedures can be done in one operation , ie one stage or in two operations, two stage, where it will involve a tissue expander placed under the chest muscle to stretch it and the skin to appropriate dimensions, for the definitive implant. In one stage procedures, we see immediate placement of the final implant, with a small possibility for need for small touch up procedures down the track, which can include fat grafting, where liposuction is used to harvest fat for transplant to the breast for improved symmetry.
- Tissue reconstruction for total mastectomy reconstruction involves using one’s own tissue for breast reconstruction. Tissue from various parts of the body can now be used for autologous reconstruction. The most common areas that are harvested for the flap include the lower abdomen and the back. These flaps can be attached to their original blood supply, so called pedicled flaps or they can be completely separated from their original blood supply and microsurgery used to reconnect it to new blood vessels. These are complex, technical procedures that require special training and expertise.
- Nipple reconstruction in cases where nipple is sacrificed together with the original mastectomy is an essential part of completing the reconstructive journey. It can be performed by several methods including skin grafting for areolar reconstruction, surgical local flap reconstruction of the nipple mound, or 3D tattooing.
The staff at Breast and Body Clinic will decide which procedure is best for you during your consultation depending on several factors including your age, general health, size of available body tissue.
What can a breast reconstruction do for me?
Breast reconstruction surgery may not be suitable for everyone which is what a consultation with Breast and Body Clinic is crucial before any decision is made. The consultation will assess your condition and general health before selecting the treatment that is best suited to you.
Before deciding to have breast reconstruction surgery, you should consider the following points:
- More than one operation may be required as part of the overall procedure
- Implants may not be suitable if you need to undergo radiotherapy as this may cause the skin around the implant to shrink. This heightens the risk of scar tissue or leaking implants
Are you a good candidate for a breast reconstruction?
You may be well suited for breast reconstruction if there are no additional medical conditions or illnesses that may impair healing and you have realistic goals for your breast size and shape.
Dr. Michael Yunaev may recommend this procedure for you if:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a non-smoker or have stopped smoking
To learn more about a breast reduction surgery in Sydney please start a conversation with the staff at one of our clinics. Dr. Yunaev is one of the best breast reconstruction surgeons Sydney has on offer available at our conveniently located clinic in the east and inner west, as well as the Southern Highlands.
We offer the procedure to the following areas:
- Potts Point
- Bella Vista
Before and After
Breast Reconstruction Sydney cost
All procedures performed by Dr. Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, it’s difficult to answer general questions as Surgical costs vary from operation to operation. However, these procedures start form $5000, with more significant costs in more complex procedures. Significant Medicare rebates may apply.
The breast reconstruction procedure at Breast & Body Clinic is now more affordable from $70/week* (setup and admin fees may apply).
A precise surgical quote is given to each patient after consultation with Dr. Yunaev, once the patient needs have been fully assessed. Based on this assessment, the patient will be provided with an individual and personalised surgical quote.
Additionally, some procedures may be eligible for a private health fund rebate and Medicare rebate. All procedures performed by Dr. Michael Yunaev are carefully tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Therefore, medical costs vary from operation to operation. A consultation offers a clear surgical plan with information about the various options available. An initial appointment with Dr. Yunaev is charged at a fee of $260, with the potential to receive some refund from Medicare for some procedures, the Medicare rebate, if the patient has a referral, is $73.
*Terms and Conditions Apply
Why choose Breast and Body Clinic?
Breast and Body Clinic and Dr. Yunaev are well situated to serve patients throughout Sydney. Dr. Yunaev received his accreditation through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Dr. Yunaev is trained in:
- General surgery
- Specialist training in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
- A further four years of Aesthetic Surgery training
- Over ten years’ surgical experience
As a Specialist OncoPlastic, Cosmetic Breast and General Surgeon Dr. Yunaev is the Principal Doctor at Breast & Body Clinic. He is a highly trained Surgeon with extensive experience and passion for treatment of all aspects of Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery, Breast Cancer Surgery, Benign, and Congenital Breast Disease, as well as General Surgery.
Dr. Yunaev specialises in the following procedures:
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lifts
- Breast Reduction
- Tummy Tucks
- Breast Asymmetry
- Tuberous Breasts
- Male Breast Surgery / Gynaecomastia
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections
If you are interested in finding out more, contact us on (02) 9819 7449 or send us your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org as we reply as soon as possible.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to have a breast reconstruction?
A breast reconstruction is not a medical requirement and is considered an elective procedure. Many women have a mastectomy without a breast reconstruction.
How long do implants last?
Both saline and silicone implants are at risk of a rupture or leak. However, leaks are recorded at approximately 1 percent per year.
Do I need tissue expansion?
Implant insertion after a mastectomy is different from cosmetic augmentation. Cosmetic augmentation involves skin and breast tissue that is left intact. During a mastectomy, some skin may or may not need to be removed along with the nipple/areola complex and breast tissue.
Can I have implants if I also require chemotherapy?
In some cases, the surgery date may need to be moved based on the chemotherapy schedule; however, there should not be an issue with implants and the adjuvant therapy.
How long will I need to take off from work?
For implant reconstruction, you will require roughly 3-4 weeks off; tissue flap reconstruction requires four to six weeks off of work. It is safe to resume driving after drains have been removed and after the prescription pain medication has been completed.
Terms and Conditions:
- The cost is an estimate based on an example when the patient is insured. The overall cost can differ from case to case depending on if the patient is insured or non-insured.
- This pricing calculation is a guide only. The specific weekly payment amount will be adjusted in relation to the size of the deposit made by the patient.
- The quoted cost is for the surgical fee only which includes the cost of the surgeon’s fee, the assistant surgeon’s fee and all related follow up visits.
- Additional fees for hospital and anaesthetic fees will still apply. Prospective patients are encouraged to talk to their insurer for more precise costings.
- The price is calculated based on a weekly payment charged over a 2-year period, consisting of 104 equal payments.
- Payment for the surgery and anaesthetist are required 1 week prior to your surgery. The payments for hospital fees are required upon admission.
- Patients are encouraged to book a consultation with Dr. Yunaev to have a clear surgical plan developed and so that they are informed of their different options. An initial appointment with Dr. Yunaev is charged at an additional fee of $260, with the potential to receive some refund from Medicare for some procedures, the Medicare rebate if the patient has a referral is $73. This initial consultation fee will be deducted from the surgical costs if the patient books the procedure through the Breast and Body Clinic.
- Results will vary from person to person.
- The timing of the procedure will be agreed upon between the patient and the practitioner.
- Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risk. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
- It is recommended that only patients who fully understand the treatment and the risks of the treatment should proceed with this procedure.
- This procedure is not recommended for people who are allergic or sensitive to biomaterials.
PHONE: (02) 9819 7449
FAX: (02) 9356 0460
For all appointments and inquiries, please contact us using the details provided above or fill out the enquiry form and we will be in touch at the earliest opportunity.